What was the initial thought that popped into your head when you read the title of this post ? Your split second reaction ? Was it something along these lines ?
“They’re all talk”, “Be realistic. It’s a bad idea” and “I’d rather break up”.
OR Are you of the optimistic school of thought that says:
“I think we can beat the odds” and “Distance makes the heart grow fonder”.
Here are two opposing opinions on the matter that I came across on Thought Catalog. The first argues that such a relationship’s demise is inevitable. The writer enumerates seven reasons for the same and I quote:
- It’s not a real relationship
- Words lose their meaning over time
- It demands too much
- You lose touch with reality
- You get tired
- You are miserable
- It’s not worth it
To read the full post go here.
The second however, elaborates the other side of the coin. It spells out why every long distance relationship isn’t doomed for failure. Here are the five things the writer realized / felt grateful for, in his relationship. And I quote:
- The need to communicate
- You learn about your significant other
- You learn to truly appreciate time
- Time apart gives you time to develop individual habits
- Long distance means great sex
To read the entire article go here.
There’s one I stumbled upon that also provides some words of wisdom in this context (And I quote)
- The Physical Aspect matters more than you think
- Your partner will spend a lot of time with other people
- Time differences skew perspectives
- You need an end game plan
- Long distance relationships are 90 % promises
(If you wish to read more of this go here)
So there you have it. A round-up of LDR posts, for and against because I’m no expert. To each one’s own I say !
What do you think of LDRs ?