The Sweet Indian Jaggery Flatbread is our staple for the winters and since Winter is Coming we thought we’d share this recipe passed down by our grandmother.
Jaggery is the perfect substitute for sugar if you are looking for a healthier, guilt-free option. This recipe is a treat for those with a sweet tooth and its pairing with a sour lemon pickle or a hot chilly pickle provides a perfect balance of contrasting flavours.
- Melt 250 grams of Jaggery (Gur) with ½ cup Water in a pan over low flame for 3-4 minutes.
- Allow it to cool for half an hour.
- Make dough with melted jaggery, ½ teaspoon fennel seeds, 1 teaspoon Clarified butter (desi ghee), ¼ teaspoon cardamom powder and 2 cups wheat flour.
- Divide dough into 6 equal portions to be rolled like a Flatbread/ tandoori rotis. Use wet palms to flatten the dough instead of a rolling pin.
- Cook the flatbread/rotis in Clarified butter.
- Serve warm with lemon or chilly pickle.